Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Life of a (Young) Razorback Fan


I was born only nine days after Arkansas won the 1994 men’s basketball National Championship. My fate was sealed: I was an Arkansas Razorbacks fan.
Since then, I have been put through a roller coaster of emotions, ranging from extreme euphoria to agonizing disappointment.
---
Rashad Madden drives into the lane with 15 seconds left, stops and kicks it out to Alandise Harris, who missed the front end of a one-and-one just three days earlier that would have sealed an upset over No. 10 Florida, at the top of the key.
Harris goes through the middle of the lane with his left hand and switches to his right hand while going up toward the basket, as Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein slides in front of him.
Both players fall. So does the shot. The referee blows his whistle: and-one. After a timeout, Harris knocks down the free throw and Arkansas leads by three; 9.5 seconds remaining. Fans go crazy.
---
My parents have been taking me to games since I was in diapers. When Arkansas plays football games in Fayetteville, I simply don’t miss them. No matter what.
The 1999 Tennessee game is my earliest memory of a game I was actually at. I was only five years old, but seeing the fans storm the field and tear down the goal posts is an image I’ll never forget.
I’ll always remember watching Mitch Mustain complete the pass to Ben Cleveland for the game-winning two-point conversion in double overtime against Alabama in 2006.
Memories of Matt Jones and Cedric Cobbs, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, Ryan Mallett and Joe Adams, Tyler Wilson and Cobi Hamilton remain fresh.
Adams’ amazing punt return, the Miracle on Markham I, the Miracle on Markham II, the seven overtime games against Ole Miss and Kentucky and the triple overtime upset over No. 1 LSU are all part of Razorback legend.
---
Kentucky inbounds the ball to Andrew Harrison. Harrison drives down the court and hands the ball off to James Young. Arkansas double-teams Young, leaving Harrison open.
Young sees him open, passes to him and Harrison hits the game-tying three-pointer in the corner in front of his team’s bench. Tie game, 1.2 seconds left. The crowd quiets down.
Arkansas’ desperation pass down the court is knocked away as the buzzer sounds. Overtime for the second-consecutive game at Bud Walton Arena.
---
Of course, I’ve also seen plenty of heartbreak.
The thought of Mallett’s interception in the end zone to give Ohio State the victory in the Sugar Bowl still makes me sad.
Louisiana-Monroe’s Kolton Browning running free at War Memorial Stadium still gives me nightmares.
And who could forget Reggie Fish’s muffed punt in the 2006 Southeastern Conference Championship Game?
The countless leads the Razorbacks have blown have made me pessimistic about even the most seemingly insurmountable leads.
---
Madden has the ball in his hands again, this time with 38 seconds left in overtime and Arkansas up by one. He dribbles up the court, first to the left wing before coming back to midcourt and passing to Michael Qualls.
Qualls is immediately fouled with 26.7 seconds remaining. The game will depend on free throws. Deja vu.
The crowd anxiously awaits the free throws. Qualls calmly walks to the line. Dribble, dribble, spin...swish. Dribble, Dribble, spin...swish. Arkansas leads by three. The fans get out of their seats, sensing the victory, almost tasting it.
---
Bud Walton Arena was another frequent stop during my childhood.
The only time I could stay up past my bedtime was when I went to midweek games with my nana and papa. I used to imitate Johnny George’s growling introduction of: Noooolan Rrrrrrrrichardsooooon.
Joe Johnson and Jannero Pargo were my first favorite players. Then came Jonathon Modica and Eric Ferguson. Then Charles Thomas and Ronnie Brewer, Sonny Weems and Patrick Beverley, Courtney Fortson and Rotnei Clarke, and Marshawn Powell and B.J. Young.
I remember the crowds. Oh, the crowds...20,000-plus fans all Calling the Hogs in unison. It was beautiful.
It wasn’t too long ago, it seems, that Arkansas beat No. 4 Oklahoma and No. 7 Texas in the span of one week.
Just last year, the Razorbacks gave fans plenty to cheer about, including a double overtime thriller over Auburn, an upset over No. 2 Florida and exciting wins against Kentucky and Missouri.
---
Harrison takes the inbounds pass, drives up the court and again hands it off to Young. This time, Young pulls up for three at the top of the key. The ball bounces off the front iron, but Alex Poythress hauls in the rebound for the Wildcats.
Then, as he’s falling down, he kicks it back out to Young on the wing in front of his bench. This time, Young doesn’t miss. Tie game; just over 10 seconds remaining. The crowd can barely handle it.
---
The trips to Bud Walton and games on TV haven’t come without disappointment, though.
Arkansas’ 2007 loss to Georgia haunts me to this day. The Razorbacks were up by six with under two minutes left, but lost after giving up three-straight threes. The last one came at the buzzer and was shot 30 feet from the basket.
Two seasons later, coming off the Oklahoma and Texas upsets, I went to the Mississippi State game thinking it was finally Arkansas’ time. Surely the Razorbacks were ready for the national stage once again.
Wrong. Fourteen points wrong. Blowout wrong.
Arkansas appeared to be on the verge again, against No. 10 Florida this season. The Razorbacks almost never trailed, but they missed crucial free throws. Florida forced overtime by hitting a shot with two seconds left and that was that. Another loss.
---
Madden receives the inbounds pass and hurries up the court, crossing the halfcourt line with seven seconds left in overtime.
He dribbles to the right wing and pulls up for a three-pointer with a defender in his face. The ball archs and...clanks off the back of the rim…
---
Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through it. The Razorbacks are a source of constant heartbreak. They make me want to throw in my towel and say, “Forget it.”
Arkansas puts its fans through hell with excruciating losses that seemed like victories moments before. It never fails.
---
QUALLS! Out of nowhere, the human highlight reel jumps and snatches the ball out of the air, before forcefully throwing the ball through the hoop as time expires.
It’s a final. 87-85, Arkansas wins. Pandemonium.
---
Then this happens and I remember why I love the Razorbacks. They may make you want to jump off a cliff, but it’s all worth it when they win.
That’s what loyalty is all about. Stick with your team, even through the pain of constant disappointment.
---
Oh, Lord it’s hard to be humble, 
When you’re an Arkansas Razorback fan!


No comments:

Post a Comment