Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day Three - Toronto and back in the U.S.A.


            I’m back!! After about 48 hours of being off the grid (well, minus wifi on my phone), it was good to be back in the good ol’ U.S.A. Of course, the majority of the day we were still in Canada. It was our only day to be in Toronto.
            Since we had such little time, we decided to hit the high point (literally) of Toronto first: the CN Tower. We went up an elevator over 1,100 feet, just to see whiteness (it was rainy and cloudy- the clouds started below the observation deck of the tower). It was still cool to be in the “tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere” and stand on the glass floors. I got weak knees walking over the glass, even though they are strong enough to hold 14 large hippos (what would 14 large hippos be doing in the CN tower? And how would they get up there? Questions to ponder…).
            Next, we made our way to our second, and final, destination in Toronto: the Hockey Hall of Fame. I don’t really know much about hockey, but I’m always up for sports stuff. They had displays of just about everything hockey related, very similar to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts that I went to in April. Probably the coolest thing there was the original Stanley Cup, which was created in 1893.
            To avoid rush hour (or hours for Toronto- it lasts from 3:00-7:00), we rode the train from Burlington into town. It was about an hour long ride, but that’s better than the two or three hours we would have been stuck in traffic!
            We eventually made it to the border, and I was able to turn on all capabilities of my cell phone. I was greeted with over 100 text messages- my phone felt like it would never stop vibrating! I don’t care if a lot of them were ESPN alerts, it made me feel loved! Haha!
            I thought we weren’t too far from where we were staying (Herkimer, NY- about 40 minutes north of Cooperstown), but it took FOUR hours to get here. I had no idea the state of New York was so big!
            Honestly, I probably would have traveled four HUNDRED hours to have the opportunity to see the Baseball Hall of Fame. I can’t wait for tomorrow; I’m beyond excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment