Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day Four - Cooperstown


            Wow. I’ve waited 18 years to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and it was worth the wait. I had goose bumps all over my body as I walked up to the Mecca of baseball. When I saw that Barry Larkin was one of the 2012 inductees, a flood of memories came over me.
            It may seem silly, but my little brother, Sam, and I used to play a game on the computer called Backyard Baseball, where you chose a team of Major Leaguers, but they were in animated kid form. One of the things I remember from the game is that when you hit a homerun with Barry Larkin, the game would say “Larkin parkin’ the ball in the bleachers!”
            Once inside the Hall of Fame, I encountered more nostalgia. Memorabilia from before Ty Cobb to Josh Hamilton covered the walls. Being a sports history buff, I enjoyed reading the facts and stories attached to the artifacts. The actual Hall of Fame itself was amazing, too. Seeing the plaques of the 297 greatest players/managers/figures in the history of the sport was incredible. I wish I had time and space to talk about all of the stuff I saw, but there was simply too much. You’ll have to go yourself!
            The Hall did have a special section about Fenway Park and I saw stuff like Curt Schilling’s bloody sock (so cool). They had a box and cards there where you could write your personal memory of Fenway and it would be stored in the archives at the Hall of Fame, so I sat down and wrote my experience from about a month and a half ago, when I watched the Red Sox take on the Yankees on April 20th, the 100th birthday of the legendary park.
            My mom provided the funniest moment of the day when she was looking at all the teams and their retired jersey numbers. After about 20 teams, she asked my dad, “How many teams did Jackie Robinson play for?!” Since I wasn’t there, my dad had to explain to her that Jackie’s #42 is retired across the entire MLB, and that he only played for the Brooklyn Dodgers (although he was traded to the New York Giants before retiring, he never played a game with them).
            While the Hall of Fame was the main attraction, a ton of other cool stuff was in Cooperstown. The entire street was full of sports memorabilia shops. It is probably the only place in the world that I actually wanted to go into every store on the street. I would also say it’s a safe bet that it’s the only place in the world that it’s acceptable for a man to go “shopping,” as most women would interpret the word (aka- go into every store and spend HOURS looking at and buying stuff).
            We also saw Doubleday Field, which wasn’t too far from the Hall of Fame. It is home to the Cooperstown Hawkeyes, a collegiate summer league baseball team, as well as various events like the Hall of Fame Game (now the Hall of Fame Classic) and other amateur baseball games. About four miles south of Cooperstown, we went to Dreams Park, an enormous little league competitive baseball facility. There were a TON of people there, as the little kids were competing in a skills challenge before the actually tournament starts tomorrow.
            To say the least, it was an awesome day for sports, which means it was an awesome day for me! We’re going back into Cooperstown tomorrow to finish shopping and to maybe catch a game at Doubleday Field, depending on the weather (there’s a 40% chance of rain). Regardless, this trip has been great so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment