Sunday, June 29, 2014

Defending Soccer: My Response to Ann Coulter

Every once in a while I read something that flat out infuriates me. After seeing the name "Ann Coulter" on Twitter several times and hearing it mentioned on ESPN, I finally looked up what everyone was talking about.

What I found was a crazy, delusional rant by a narrow-minded, bigoted woman. It was so unbelievable and infuriating that I felt compelled to respond to it. (Click here if you haven't read it. Brace yourself.)

Ms. Coulter,

Let me start by giving a disclaimer. I am a Republican and was raised in a Republican household. I identify with many Republican values. I am also Christian and have lived in Arkansas (part of the Bible Belt and a "red" state) my entire life. The 2012 presidential election was my first opportunity to vote and I was extremely excited to vote for Romney. My parents and I discuss our displeasure with Obama all the time. While I am not as extreme as you, I definitely lean more right than left.

Also, by no means am I a huge soccer fan. I will watch it this month, but I probably won't watch much between the end of this World Cup and the start of the next one. I am a much bigger baseball, basketball and football fan, but I enjoy a good soccer game every now and then.

Now on to your article. First of all, in your first sentence you make a reference to how long soccer games last. You obviously know nothing about sports. Soccer matches have two 45-minute halves sandwiched around a 15-minute halftime. I'll do the math for you - that's 105 minutes, or one hour and 45 minutes. That might stretch to a full two hours once you factor in the stoppage time.

The great thing about soccer is that there are no commercial breaks. I am a HUGE football fan (I even played football in high school), but the games take forever. I can't tell you how many times I watch a game and this sequence happens: touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. About 20 seconds of game time turns into 20 minutes. Guess how long 20 seconds takes in soccer. Twenty seconds! That's how long 20 seconds takes! So when I say soccer games last two hours, that means a game that starts at 6 p.m. will end at 8 p.m. Football and baseball games, on the other hand, last an average of three hours and routinely hit the four-hour mark.

Your article also nicely lays out your nine arguments against soccer. I'll respond to each one.

(1) To say there are "no heroes" or "individual achievement" in soccer is absurd. If you paid attention to the World Cup, you would know names like Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. You should at least know Clint Dempsey, who has garnered plenty of praise for his play for the United States.

As for Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar? All Messi has done is score four goals in three games. Neymar also had four goals in his first three games. And in the fourth game? He made the game-winning penalty kick. Ronaldo had only one goal (a game-winning goal), but he also had an assist that broke millions of American hearts. So if "individual achievement is not a big factor," how do I, and millions of other people around the world, know these individual names?

(You should look up the "FIFA Ballon d'Or." That is soccer's MVP award and it's given to the best player in the WORLD, opposed to the MVP awards in the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL, which are given to the best player in largely American leagues.)

(2) You're right when you say that sports shouldn't be co-ed. At the professional level, it is very difficult for women and men to compete against each other.

However, what you're arguing is that because girls and boys can play soccer together in kindergarten, it's not a real sport. By that reasoning, baseball, basketball and football aren't real sports either.

When I played tee-ball, there was a girl on my team and she was probably the best athlete on the field. I also played with girls in basketball when I was that age. When my little brother played pee wee football, the best player on his team was a girl that ran all over the boys. That can happen at a young age. It's not uncommon.

(3) I cannot argue the fact that there are more scoreless ties in soccer than any other sport. Your comparison to football is not a very good one, though.

You say that scoring in football is much harder than in soccer because "a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers are trying to crush you." What you fail to mention is that you also have "a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers" on the field with the sole duty of protecting you. Because of that, quarterbacks are able to pick apart defenses and score points in bunches.

If you watched the Denver Broncos and Peyton Manning last season, you would know how easy it is to score in football these days.

(4) Yes, soccer is not as violent as football, but soccer also doesn't have multi-million dollar lawsuits against it.

Is it just a bunch of people running around singing Kumbaya? Absolutely not. Example A (around the 30-second mark). Example B. (Don't watch if you have a weak stomach.)

I'd say soccer has just as much risk as baseball.

(5) "You can't use your hands in soccer." Duh. That's why soccer is entertaining. What these players are able to do without hands is incredible. They display amazing acts of athleticism without using what many of us take for granted. And isn't that what draws us to sports? Seeing people do things that the average person can't?

(6) No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch soccer. I assume you know how a remote control works - change the channel. No one has forced me to watch HBO's "Girls" (in fact, I've never even heard of it).

The reason The New York Times writes articles about it is because it's news. As a journalism major at the University of Arkansas, I learned what makes something newsworthy. Among the newsworthy characteristics is timeliness and with the World Cup (the most popular worldwide sporting event) going on, it is timely. It is also news because it is happening, whether you like it or not (I'll talk more about that later).

(7) The fact that soccer is foreign should make you want the U.S. to be successful even more. If Team USA wins the gold medal in basketball at the Olympics, who cares? It was expected. Anything less than a gold medal would be considered a failure.

At the World Cup, however, if the U.S. wins, it is beating a country at their own game. Ghana has to live with the fact that it lost to a country that is relatively new on the soccer scene. Portugal, a world powerhouse, needed a prayer to tie the U.S. and didn't advance to the next round. Can you imagine how those fans feel?

Remember how good it felt to beat the U.S.S.R. in hockey back in 1980? It felt good because, well we beat the communists, but also because it wasn't supposed to happen. We beat them at their own game.

(8) People "adore" the metric system because it is easier than our system. Sure, we understand 12 inches = 1 foot and 3 feet = 1 yard, but that's because we have grown up around it. Can you tell me, off the top of your head, how many feet are in a mile? How about how many yards are in a mile?

While I will tell someone the temperature in Fahrenheit, it is much easier to remember that water's freezing point is 0 degrees Celsius and its boiling point is 100 degrees Celsius. I am not starting a petition to switch to the metric system, but to say it isn't easy is silly. Or you're just dumb.

I also want to poke a hole in your theory that "an inch is the width of a man's thumb, a foot the length of his foot, a yard the length of his belt" and that is "easy to visualize." What would you say to a man like me that has small feet? The length of my foot is not 12 inches. I also have a very small waist and small hands. What about Shaquille O'Neal? His feet are much longer than 12 inches. The things you mention are relative.

How do I visualize 147.2 centimeters? Easy. I visualize it as 1.472 meters (notice how the decimal moved and the numbers stayed the same? Crazy huh?!).

(I would also like to note that at the same time the French were "committing mass murder by guillotine," we had millions of African-Americans enslaved. Which one would you be more proud of? Another note: Our system developed from the British imperial system, which we had before we declared our independence. Instead of coming up with our own system, we copied the country that was taxing us without representation. Again, are you proud of that?)

(9) Just because a World Cup match does not have the same ratings as a football game, that does not mean soccer isn't gaining popularity. The way you judge whether or not something is growing in popularity, or "catching on," is by comparing ratings in the past to current ratings in the SAME sport.

Football is an established sport in the United States and is unquestionably the most popular sport in the country. No one is saying that soccer is more popular, which your argument seems to claim.

The headlines you are referring to are saying exactly what's happening. Thousands of people across the country are going to public viewing parties in Kansas City, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and other major cities. Any time there are large gatherings like that, it will draw headlines. That's how the news works.

Finally, you end your complaint with a shocking claim: "I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer." FALSE! All four of my great-grandfathers were born in the U.S. and I have been watching soccer since the World Cup started. Not only that, but both of my grandfathers served in the military for this country. My father's father served in the Navy and worked on submarines during the Cold War, while my mother's father served in the Air Force and was shot down in Vietnam.

I am as American as they come, but here I am watching soccer. You better get used to it.

My final plea to you is this: Stick to politics and stay out of sports. One of the many reasons I love sports is because it doesn't matter what your political views or affiliations are. If you love the Dallas Cowboys, you get along with other Dallas Cowboys fans. If you love baseball, you can carry on a conversation about whether Barry Bonds and Rogers Clemens should be allowed in the Hall of Fame or not.

So please, for me and the rest of America, shut up.

Sincerely,

Andrew Hutchinson

No comments:

Post a Comment