Sunday, August 18, 2013

MLB Thoughts: Instant Replay, A-Rod

There have been a couple things happen in baseball over the last several days that I feel strongly about, but could not fit my feelings in a tweet. Instead, I decided to share my thoughts on here.

Instant Replay

It isn't set in stone, but it looks like MLB is going to expand their replay system next season. Managers will get one challenge (similar to the NFL) in the first six innings and two challenges for the last three innings.

I think it's great that they are finally embracing technology the NFL and NBA are already using, but I am not sure if this is the best system.

I love baseball, but sometimes games seem to drag on forever and I know a lot of my friends don't like baseball because it is "boring." This system will not help this. There is a potential for six challenges in one game, and if each challenge takes five minutes (the time for the manager to come out of the dugout, talk to the umps, the umps to talk to each other, then the time for the actual review), that is an extra 30 minutes.

Some managers may use the challenges strategically to give their players extra time (example: for a guy warming up in the bullpen to have more time).

My replay system would be similar to the NFL. I think both managers should be allowed one challenge in the first six innings. If they successfully challenge a play, then they should be allowed to have a second challenge.

From the seventh inning on, all replays should be "booth reviews," like the final two minutes of each half in the NFL. All close plays can be determined by another official (other than the four on the field) either in the press box at each stadium or in another location in the country, watching on a monitor, similar to college football.

This would prevent managers from using the challenges "strategically," and the umps wouldn't have the pressure of reversing/upholding the call they made on the field.

A-Rod

I hate the Yankees. I hate Alex Rodriguez even more. Not only did he cheat, not only did he lie, but it sounds like he was also a snitch. Forget Miguel Cabrera, A-Rod went for the Triple Crown of scumbags.

HOWEVER, he gained a small amount of respect back from me tonight (Saturday, Aug. 18). When he was beamed by Ryan Dempster of the Red Sox, he could have easily charged the mound. But he didn't. Which is especially surprising because (in my opinion) it was blatantly obvious he was beamed on purpose.

His manager, Joe Girardi, went ballistic in his defense and the benches cleared, just like a classic Yankees-Red Sox game.

Two at-bats later, A-Rod came up to bat and crushed a home run to centerfield. This all happened as he was bombarded with boos and negative chants from the fans at Fenway Park.

Instead of charging the mound, he just went out and did his job.

That being said, I hope his suspension is upheld and he has to sit out at least a full season.

No comments:

Post a Comment