Saturday, October 13, 2012

What I miss...


     Sitting in the student section at the Springdale homecoming game against Van Buren, a flood of emotion came over me. It was the first homecoming game I wasn’t on the sideline for since my ninth grade year. Then, I watched knowing I’d be on the field next year. Now, I watch knowing that I’ll be in the stands from here on out.
     What will I miss most about playing? That’s tough to answer.
     It could be wearing my jersey in the halls every Friday.
     It could be eating the pregame meal with my teammates.
     It could be relaxing in the locker room with anxious anticipation of what was about to happen in a few hours.
     It could be going through pregame warm-ups as fans filed into the stadium and music blared over the P.A. system.
     It could be coach’s pregame speech.
     It could be walking underneath the band and into the tunnel.
     It could be waiting in the tunnel, about to run on the field, packed like sardines with my teammates, all of us screaming and getting amped for the game.
     It could be running onto the field, with the band playing the fight song and the fans cheering, your feet not touching the ground the entire time.
     It could be standing on the field, in that moment between the ref’s whistle and the kicker’s foot making contact with the ball. Will he kick it deep or kick an onside?
     It could be the up and down, rollercoaster emotions of the game
     It could be the halftime motivational talks by coaches and players.
     It could be the ball hanging in the air right before I grab it and look it in for a catch.
     It could be the locking of arms with my teammates on the sideline as we attempt a last second field goal or line up for one last defensive stop.
     It could be the pure elation after a win.
     It could be singing the fight song with my teammates and friends, win or loss.
     It could be saying the Lord’s Prayer after every game, win or loss.
     It could be celebrating in the locker room with the guys after a win.
     It could be the postgame trips to Braum’s for ice cream with a group of friends.
     It could be wearing the Springdale Bulldog jersey and being a part of 100+ years of tradition.
     But it would be impossible to chose just one. I miss it all.

1 comment: